Friday, May 28, 2004

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I must report the passing of Ziva Kunda, a 1985 Michigan Ph.D. recipient and for the last many years a professor at the University of Waterloo. I just learned of this sad development by reading the Society for Personality and Social Psychology newsletter Dialogue.

Ziva and I overlapped only one year in the social psychology program, so I did not know her as well as did others. I remember attending her wedding, probably some time in the summer of '85. I think it is a sign of her generosity and inclusiveness that she would have wanted to share the experience of her wedding with a wide variety of people in the Michigan program, even those with whom she might not have had as much contact. In the years following graduation, we would chat briefly every few years at conferences. Even during that one year of overlap during grad school, it was clear to me that Ziva was headed for greatness in the field, which her subsequent achievements strongly confirmed.

Her husband, Paul Thagard, has created a web memorial to Ziva. Beneath the picture of Ziva are several links, including remarks from her family and colleagues.