Thursday, August 05, 2004

Just a brief entry today, on some miscellaneous items...

First, a short time ago while looking through some piles in my office for unrelated purposes, I found a complete list of Katz-Newcomb lecturers for the period 1973-1992 (it was probably an enclosure with the invitation to the 1993 talk that presumably all program alumni received). As some of you may recall, my April 29 entry was devoted to the Katz-Newcomb Lecture. With the help of many people, I was able to compile a near-complete list of speakers from 1973-1997 (when, except for some ad hoc lectures, the series came to an end). But, there were still some gaps for the more distant years. The list I found has now allowed me to fill in all the speakers for the complete series. As an added "bonus," the list I found also included the 1973-1992 speakers' titles, so I have added these. Take a look at the updated list by going to the April archive.

August is a pretty quiet time in academia, as professors, students, and staff members prepare to start another school year. One major event that will be happening in August (the 13th-29th) is, of course, the Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece. UM has produced a list of current and former Wolverines who are participating. As a sign of how much 80s-era students such as myself have aged, our only Michigan contemporaries are going to Athens in coaching roles. Enjoy the Games!